WELCOME to the Huntingdonshire Society
President: John Bridge OBE
Patrons: The Lord De Ramsey, Dr Madsen Pirie, The Rev Robert Van De Weyer, Mr Kenneth Beaton JP, Ruth Madoc
Chairman: Bill Hensley, 22 High Street, Warboys, Huntingdonshire PE28 2RH 01487 823 424
The Huntingdonshire Society was founded in 1997 to be a voice championing the county of Huntingdonshire. The Society’s aims are:
- To promote awareness of the county of Huntingdonshire as a county in its own right.
- To foster pride in the County of Huntingdonshire.
- To further Huntingdonshire’s restoration to public use as a geographical identity
- To further and procure the re-creation of a Huntingdonshire County Council over an area similar to that of the county.
- To work for the benefit of Huntingdonshire and its inhabitants generally.
To further these aims the Society seeks to remind the public, within the shire and beyond it, of Huntingdonshire’s continuing county status. We seek to foster Huntingdonshire identity and the treasuring of that identity.
In addition to campaigning work The Huntingdonshire Society seeks to work for the general benefit of the county. The Society is co-operating with local organisations to that end. We are glad to lend a hand with local events where we can help.
The Huntingdonshire Family History Society has much of interest, particularly on historical and genealogical matters.
The Huntingdonshire Local History Society also has some very good information.
The Association of British Counties promotes all the traditional counties.
The Gazetteer of British Place-Names is a most valuable resource on the Web.
Try also The Caernarfonshire Association, Friends of Real Lancashire, The Yorkshire Ridings Society, The Monmouthshire Association, The Oxfordshire Association, The Sussex Association, The Westmorland Association
(Further links are given on other pages of this site.)
If you want to e-mail the Society contact the Chairman on firstname.lastname@example.org
The Huntingdonshire Society is affiliated to the Association of British Counties.